Thursday, June 18, 2015

retrotechno



This is moderately exciting in its bashy, smeary, way...  but I can't help shaking the feeling this Container chappy is remaking music that was made 20 years ago, and remaking it... not as well. 

But I suppose not knowing the history that you're repeating might explain why you'd be unaware you're repeating it, or just not care that you're repeating it:

 "People come up to me at shows and want to talk techno, but I don't know a whole lot about it I don't listen to techno, really. The reason I started [Container] is because [girlfriend] Val listens to a lot of electronic music. One time, at a show she was iPod deejaying... she played this Daniel Bell track ["Losing Control" ],. For some reason I was way into it that time. I really liked the weird vocals....  A lot of times somebody will recommend an artist, saying 'You have to listen to this. It's really fucking insane.' Often it's not what I imagined it to be. Part of the reason I never got into techno is because it sounds too smooth and glossy, like it was made on a laptop. I like things raw and kind of sloppy. I like things when they're not perfect" -  Ren Schofield to RA

More gristly (or Gristly even) "techno" from ex-noisenik Container





No comments: